I’m starting to get asked a ton about how to how to start a blog so I thought I’d just make a quick video about it. This video includes my top tips for starting a blog or making your blog even better or more fun which is the real goal of blogging…I think.
Watch the video to find out the tips that I’ve learned through my humble experience blogging. I’m sure there are many more things I’m missing that could be helpful and have worked for other people, but again I’m simply sharing my own experience of what has worked for me.
If you know someone who has a blog or wants to and you think this video would be helpful to them send it their way. Or tweet the below quote I quoted in this video. >>
So psyched to share what I loved in May with you guys. It’s way fun to get to be a curator of awesome things that I’m grateful for and share them with you. Below are the links to everything I shared in the video. If you have any questions let me know & let me know in the comments what you loved this month. oh and if you missed last month’s April video here’s that.
1. Sea Clear on Thrive Market -Thrive Market itself is actually one of my favs. With every purchase they help low income families get access to healthy food. Rad.
2. Avocado Soap
3. Peal Essence Imbibe Product
4. Epic Blend Lip Balm
5.. Urban Outfitters Heels
6. Audible specifically listening to Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
7. App of the month: Snapchat @KatieDalebout join the party there.
I’m way more of an idea person and lack when it comes to action and execution. But I have followed through on a few things and in this video I share my top tips to stop perfectionism from keeping you stuck and how to actually take action on your dreams, goals, and good ideas. I explain how I started my podcast and how I was able to get some pretty neat guests to come on the show even in the very first season.
I give two of my favorite quotes of all time in this video and if you like them. Tweet ‘em out.
April was my birthday month & I actually shot this video on my birthday which was the last day of the month. Below I listed everything I shared in the video and linked it for you. If you have any questions let me know & let me know in the comments what you loved this month. oh and if you missed last month’s February video here’s that and March’s too. Also if you want to buy a book on Audible you can get one free if you go through this link! & you support the show! woot!
1. Hat 1- Madewell White Baseball Cap
2. Hat 2- The Slap use the code “katie” for 15% off
3. Hat 3- American Apparel Floppy Hat
4. Air Ferns (similar)
5. My Ukulele
6. Mandala Coloring + fav coloring pencils
7. Books that I listened to on Audible (get your FREE audiobook if you click this link)
#Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso
& The Body Book by Cameron Diaz
It’s easy to stay in your Wellness Wonderland / high-vibe state in the morning while you’re going through your morning routine, it’s throughout the day where we get triggered by the busyness of life and become stressed out. We talk a lot about how to start our day or end our day for happiness, but what about the middle of the day when you’re working and need tools to stay sane the most. Here are a few tips to keep you healthy, happy, and centered throughout the day while you’re at work and busy.
1. Breathe- Take deep breaths throughout the day. We often hold our breath when we’re stressed but simply breathing can relax your mind and body.
2. Hydrate like A Boss- Yes drinking water is crucial since being dehydrated can make your brain work less effectively, but the real reason I like drinking water at my desk is because it forces me to actually get up and move to go to the bathroom. When I’m focused on a project it is so easy to say sedentary for hours. Drinking water forces me to get up.
3. Move As Much As Possible- Our bodies aren’t designed to sit in chairs all day and stare at screens which is why simply getting up and moving every hour at least is important. It has even been said that sitting is the new smoking. So get up and dance to a song every so often or do some squats or drop into a plank if you work from home. If you work at an office walk to someone’s desk instead of emailing every once and awhile or take the stairs on your way in from lunch.
4. Be Around People- If you work in an office this one is easy (skip to number 5) but if you don’t this one might be the most important. If you’re an entrepreneur or have a remote working situation or home office, it seems ideal and in a lot of ways it is, short commute, great cafeteria etc. However, it is easy to hibernate and spend countless hours alone with no other human contact (I know I’ve done it). This sounds innocent enough but can create extreme cabin fever which is why getting out in public is crucial. This could be as simple as running some errands at lunch working from a coffee shop or better yet, joining a co-working space (this one looks rad) to get the feel of an office environment without the negative aspects. When people come together, creativity can maximize! Remember we’re social creatures for force yourself to get out for your health.
5. Candle Meditation To Refocus Your Eyes- Just like we weren’t meant to sit for long periods, we also weren’t designed to stare at screens for hours either so our eyes can get tired before our minds do. To help with this, simply stare on the flickering flame of a candle for about a minute, take some deep breaths. This will not only refocus your eyes, but calm you down as well.
7. Pulse Meditation- When we spend the entire day focused on to-do lists and other people’s agenda’s it is very easy to loose track of ourselves and become disconnected from our bodies. Have you ever come home at the end of a long work day to watch an entire bowl of popcorn disappear in seconds right before your eyes? It’s easy to go all day without eating or even checking in with our bodies at all which leads to overeating at the end of the day. This tip connects you in with your body throughout so you know what it actually needs and wants. Simply place your thumb on your pulse on your wrist. Then on each beat repeat a mantra in your mind like, “calm-down, calm-down” for about a minute. You can do this at your desk, stuck in traffic, or even in a meeting, no one will know (trust me) and they’ll thank you for it later because you’ll be more chill.
8. Start With Important Tasks First- Do you ever have so much to do that you don’t even know where to begin when you sit down to work? Willpower is a limited resource so when you’re at your desk you’ll want to get the most important tasks done first since willpower diminishes as the day goes on. Also, if you get done your creative projects first this will inspire you and spark momentum to keep going throughout the day.
9. Don’t Get Caught On Email- Email is a time suck no matter how many messages are in your inbox. When you start your day by answering emails, it is easy to spend the entire day simply responding to other people’s non urgent requests and tasks instead of completing your own. Instead of using your inbox as your to-do list, do your important tasks first and then go into your inbox with a set amount of time for responding so it doesn’t suck your entire day. What I do, is send all the important messages I need to send before I even start reading or replying, that way what I wanted to send doesn’t get forgotten and I can check that off my list. If you use gmail, I’ve found this tool Boomerang to be extremely helpful. It takes messages from your inbox out and sends them back to you when you’ll actually have time to review them per your request so messages aren’t missed.
10. Make It Feel Nice- Regardless of your work environment do what you can to ignite your senses and make it feel good to you. Keep your space tidy, keep smells you like on hand I like essential oil or my little Imbibe Epoch Fragrance at my desk or in my bag. I also constantly listen to music while I’m working. It inspires me to keep moving or calms me down depending on what I’m listening to. Here’s my Spotify if you want to listen with me.
What work tips work for you? Let me know, I’m always looking for good tips.