What’s there not to love about Schwinn budget ellipticals? The Schwinn 470 does not fall short of the brand’s reputation and fitness dedication. The Schwinn 470 elliptical is the brand’s top fitness trainer and, with its features, is considered a steal by many fitness enthusiasts.
The 470 fitness machine delivers well above average on its features for an affordable elliptical. Some of its features include a motorized incline, a whopping 29 pre-programmed workout programs, and precision path foot motion technology. But, as with most affordable ellipticals, the Schwinn 470 elliptical machine also has minimal drawbacks.
This Schwinn 470 elliptical review gives a comprehensive overview of the features, specifications, performance, and assembly guide.
Without further delay, let’s dive in!
schwinn 470 elliptical review
Schwinn 470 Elliptical Features
Build & Design
The 470 is Schwinn’s latest and most upgraded elliptical model. It includes several upgrades from its little brother, the Schwinn elliptical 430, and many upgrades over their most affordable Schwinn elliptical 411. The Schwinn 470 elliptical machine comes with a compact build and design that makes it a great commercial elliptical and home gym exercise machine.
An important feature to look out for when it comes to elliptical trainers is the weight and working operation of the flywheel. A heavier flywheel is always believed to be better than a lighter one.
The engineers at Schwinn sure didn’t disappoint with the 470. The Schwinn 470 elliptical comes with a 20 pounds flywheel. Compared with other machines within its price range, this is an amazing offer. It’s common to see brands offering 14 to 18 pounds of flywheels at such a price.
What’s so special about a 20-pounds flywheel? First, users are guaranteed a smooth, fluid motion and comfortable feel when on the machine.
The flywheel is also responsible for the machine’s resistance. The Schwinn 470 offers 25 resistance levels to fitness trainers. This gives absolute control to most users to decide the level of resistance and exercise intensity they want to work with.
If the 25 resistance settings are not enough, the 470 comes with an automated incline of up to 10° for added intensity. Power incline is always preferred to manual incline adjustments.
Elliptical handlebars double as support and upper body fitness tools. Many of these compact ellipticals come with two sets of handlebars; fixed and moving handlebars. So it comes as no surprise that the Schwinn 470 features both of these handles.
The shorter fixed handles have integrated heart rate sensors to help monitor and track the trainer’s heart rate and pulse. All of this is fed to the machine’s LCD screen for users to monitor their workout performance.
The longer, movable handles are designed to work for the body’s upper body muscle groups. They work together with the motion of the foot pedals to give full-body exercise and fitness goals to trainers.
When working on an elliptical, the stride length is the measured distance between the feet. Consider it as the farthest distance between the feet when walking or running. So using an elliptical with little stride length would feel like marching on a spot.
Ideally, the optimal stride distance for a human adult is about 20″. Many ellipticals within this price range fall short of this but not the Schwinn 470. It’s a surprise Schwinn was kind and generous to give the 470 elliptical 20″ stride length. It delivers this with its Precision Path foot motion technology.
Fitness trainers can get comfortable exercise with this stride distance.
Ellipticals are designed as large or compact. Large-sized ellipticals are mostly used in commercial gyms since they have bigger floor spaces. Compact elliptical designs are designed for home use. Size also refers to the overall weight of the machine and ease of relocation.
The Schwinn 470 may be a good apartment elliptical machine, but it weighs 186 pounds and may be considered heavy for some users. However, it has great floor stabilizers and wheels for easy relocation. It may not be the most compact elliptical out there, but its size is fair to work with.
The built-in grip heart rate monitor works by tracking and reading the user’s body vitals and sending them to the Schwinn Trainer app on the LCD screen to monitor performance.
The Schwinn 470 has enhanced Bluetooth capabilities and connectivity features. It allows trainers to connect with fitness and performance tracking apps like MyFitnessPal, apple health, Explore the World app, and other fitness world apps.
Elliptical manufacturers offer workout programs in some of their models. These programs help fitness trainers plan and set individualistic workout routines. The programs act like other fitness apps and workout guides for users.
While some other ellipticals offer less than 10 of these workout programs, the 470 exercise equipment comes with a staggering 29 built-in workout programs for the user’s delight.
This Schwinn elliptical is powered by a 20-pounds flywheel that guarantees a quiet, fluid motion operation. As a result, trainers can have quiet workout sessions, even in the comfort of their homes.
Schwinn 470 Elliptical Specifications
|2 DualTrack blue backlit LCD
|Integrated Heart Rate Sensor
|Motorized power incline
Range angle 0 to 10 degrees
|29 Workout Programs
|Height – 70.1 inches
Length – 63.2 inches
Width – 28.2 inches
Maximum stride length 20 inches
|User Weight Capacity
|20 lb Flywheel
4 user profiles
Oversized foot pedals
USB charging port
Water bottle holder
Schwinn 470 Elliptical
quiet elliptical for apartment
- Come with Explore the World App configuration.
- Power incline control for more fun and challenging workouts.
- DualTrack blue backlit LCD system displays and 29 workout programs with 25 level-ups.
25 Level Up
- It comes with 29 preset workout programs for users
- It has 2 DualTrack blue backlit LCD screens to view workout performance data
- 25 magnetic resistance system levels for varied workout intensities
- It features the recommended 20" stride length
- It can keep track of workout data and heart rate monitoring for up to 4 user workout profiles
- A major drawback is Schwinn's low 10-year warranty for structural frames, 2 years on mechanical parts, 1-year on electronics, and a 90-day labor warranty.
- It doesn't have a wireless heart receiver
- Place the frame on a flat, open floor
- Attach the front stabilizer for the center frame support
- Connect and secure the rail assembly to the frame
- Proceed to connect the wire through the console mast
- Attach the console mast to the elliptical machine frame
- Attach and secure the legs to the frame
- Locate the arm pivot rod and add it to the frame assembly
- Attach the lower handlebar arms to the frame assembly
- Connect and secure the left pedal to the frame
- Connect the upper handlebars arms to the frame
- Proceed to attach the handlebars shroud to the frame
- Properly route the cables to avoid crimping
- Connect the fixed handlebar arms to the frame
- Connect the water bottle holder to the frame assembly
- Link wire to the console and attach to the frame
- Connect the power cord
- Do a final inspection of the assembly
- Relocate the trainer to where it’ll be used
Schwinn delivers the 470 with 10 years frame warranty, 2 years parts warranty, a year warranty on the electronics, and 90 days warranty to cover labor.
1. What is the weight limit on a Schwinn 470 elliptical?
The recommended maximum user weight capacity of the Schwinn 470 elliptical is 300 pounds. Placing weights above this limit can affect the integrity of the elliptical frame.
2. How heavy is the flywheel in Schwinn 470 elliptical?
The Schwinn 470 elliptical comes with a 20-pounds flywheel. The heavy flywheel ensures smooth and quiet operation during workouts.
3. How do you reset a Schwinn 470 Elliptical?
Start by turning off the console, then unplug the Schwinn 470 elliptical from the electrical outlet. Wait for about 3 minutes and reconnect to the outlet. Turn on the console. The 470 would have been reset.
4. Does Schwinn 470 have Bluetooth?
Yes, Schwinn 470 elliptical machine has Bluetooth connectivity. Its Bluetooth-enabled feature allows users to connect with certain fitness and performance tracking apps.
This Schwinn 470 elliptical review gives an in-depth understanding of the machine’s features. All of its features stand out compared to some other brands and models offered at the same price.
As a reputable brand in the world of elliptical fitness equipment, Schwinn delivered to expectations on this 470 elliptical model. However, they seem to fall short in the area of product warranty. A product of this class is expected to have a better warranty to improve buyers’ trust in the brand and model.